Friday, February 20, 2009

What Would You Do?

Starting this week I have added a second job to my weekly routine. Between roughly 5:30 & 6 Sunday-Thursday evenings I can be found making my way about the city amongst a plethora of other drivers who are anxious to get home. Each night this week, while in traffic at West Pennway & Southwest Boulevard, the same homeless man has been standing there with a sign that reads something like "Homeless...Help...Anything" (my memory is a little fuzzy due to an extreme lack of sleep this week).

Each time my heart breaks for this man, though I have no way of knowing who's really to blame for his state. If you know me, you know I've been given a heart for hospitality - more specifically, to practice Kingdom living by helping those in need in very practical ways; in fact, that is why I am doing everything possible to get out of debt as fast as I possibly can - ergo, why I am working 80 hours a week.

Unfortunately, I face myself with a dilemma each time in the American-ness of my ways, or a conflict of interest, if you will: I want to stop and talk to this man (even though I'm scared to) or at least give him money for food (even though he could spend it on drugs, alcohol, or something else stereotypical), but given the fact that I walk 3 football fields' length from my car to my workstation, plus have to stop to get a temporary badge until I'm issued my permanent badge for employee parking, I have to be sure I'm extra early for my shift. As I'm sure you've guessed, I've been choosing the latter, but this has been eating at me.

I keep coming back to the mid-90's mantra of "What Would Jesus Do?". Would he help the homeless man even beyond simply giving a handout and being on his way? Or, would he try and remain a good steward of his time & responsibilities for the sake of later freeing himself up for more Kingdom responsibility?

Reply to this post and tell me: what would you do v. your perception of what Jesus would do?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tim, when Paul speaks of us being free from the law in Romans, there are so many implications to that theological truth. And one of them is the fact that we rely on the Word of God and the leading of the Spirit to make decisions. Sometimes we like the idea of just getting a list and being able follow simple laws He gives us; but instead, He has chosen to write His law upon our hearts with the power of the Holy Spirit. So Tim, my advice is to go to a quiet place and seek God in prayer and in His Word. See where the Spirit leads you.

deliveredjude said...

My friend, I am along the same lines of iknowryan. I think it's different answers for different circumstances. I was just reading a friend's blog and he had the passage up of where washed Jesus's feet with the nard, her tears, and her hair. Judas challenged him for her not giving the money to the poor instead of on the perfume. Jesus told him basically to shut up, she was doing kingdom work.

Still, Jesus GREATLY advocated giving to and serving the poor, but at that time, what she was doing took precedence in the Kingdom.

Thus, I think your heart is right in both choices you're faced with, and I think that your choice of action would be different in different situations. Since you can't ask Jesus face to face what to do, I'd do as iknowryan suggested and rely on the Spirit to guide you.

Blessings and peace brother,
Nic

TenaciousT said...

There are ways to accomplish both overall goals without compromising the other or your own sanity.
I ditto what the two before say and encourage you to ask God Himself to reveal to you what He would do - and what He wants to do through you...

Cary said...

on my way to work in Aurora, there is a particular area where one or two homeless people will choose to stand with signs. It's an awkward spot for anyone to stop at for any prolonged period of time.

Soon (which sounds awful, seeing as it is meeting another human beings basic needs) I'm going to put together some kind of baggie with food, maybe a little money, and a letter in side. Not some cheesy thing either. you know me.

The last thing I want to do is awkwardly shove something in someone's hands and then speed off. I want to be sincere. But the nature of the area in which they are begging warrants only for "hey buddy, here ya go!" right before the stop light turns green again.

just something to think about.