Friday, April 25, 2008

Career Change?

This morning I accepted a job offer which includes significantly better pay, less of a commute, normal daytime hours, and of course, MUCH less stress than my current position. The funny thing is, I'm not even using either of my degrees (though I'd assume holding a bachelor's degree plays some role in determining my starting pay). I will be starting as a customer service rep. for a third-party administrator. Not exactly what I saw myself doing out of college, but I'll take it. The last several months I've felt strongly led career-wise into the direction of the business world. My goals right now are to pursue an M.B.A. and claw my way into human resources somewhere. The best part is that the EPOCH Group (where I'll be working) is a subsidiary of BlueCross BlueShield of Kansas City, meaning I will have plenty of opportunity for advancement; at PFH, however, it did not take me long to see I was led right into a dead end. But, case management has served its purpose for me, and I truly do feel I've gained something from this position.

I will spare you all the sappy details. However, the purpose of this "work-related" blog has been defeated, as I will be drastically changing jobs. I suppose I'll have to do some tweaking.

P.S. Last week I interviewed for a similar case management position, where I had the opportunity to explain my company's unethical billing practices and lack of overall structure. Following the interview, one of the interviewers approached me to say that PFH hasn't changed a bit since 10 years ago when she worked for them. Ouch.

No comments: